We're interested in your designs for our Genius Games and Artana lines. Genius Games makes scientifically accurate games for hobby gamers, and Artana typically makes games about historically and culturally significant settings and events.
Here are some notes on what we're looking for:
* Theme is very important to us! Our niche is carefully carved out by the types of stories our games tell:
* Genius Games submissions should have scientifically-accurate themes that are deeply connected to the central game mechanisms. We're especially interested in content introduced in basic biology, chemistry, and physics courses, which can remain broadly appealing. Games should feel halfway like scientific models that strongly evoke this setting. The game rules should be easier to explain to a high school science teacher because you can often say, "just like it really works."
* Artana submissions should have interesting themes taken from history (including scientific history), literature, or the social sciences. They can take more liberties in thematic integration, but they should tell stories that excite us.
* Gameplay is key. We're looking for modern tabletop games that are full of interesting decisions, with different possible strategies that are worth exploring over multiple plays. We're generally not interested in games that follow "mass market" patterns including trivia, word-matching, "take that" style games, high randomness, etc. Our games are generally medium or medium-light complexity and play in 45-75 minutes.
* Polished designs only. Before submitting your game, you should have a complete design in prototype form that's been playtested and you think we would enjoy. After we license a game, we still do development (adjusting some game mechanisms and balance), graphic design, and art, but we should be able to play and enjoy your game as-is. We're not interested in partially-complete ideas or initial designs that haven't already been fine-tuned.
To submit a game, email your pitch to Steve at firstname.lastname@example.org. You should mainly include a short video overview of your game (~2-5 minutes), demonstrating components and basic gameplay. This can be a simple phone video, but should give us the feeling of the game. We also need your agreement with the IDEA SUBMISSION AGREEMENT, below. Please include the text: "I, [Your First and Last Name], have read and agree to the IDEA SUBMISSION AGREEMENT from Genius Games." (We cannot accept and review a submission without this.) If we're interested in trying your game, we'll reach out to you for a rulebook and either a complete prototype or access to a TTS mod, if available. (Note that we do not ship prototypes back.)
Because we have a number of internal projects being developed at the same time as your submission, and multiple submission will be about the same theme, in order to avoid conflicts between ideas that may be similar or identical, we’ve put this Idea Submission Agreement in place. Please review the following agreement between You and Genius Games, LLC (“Genius Games”), before submitting your materials (“Submission”). If you have any questions, please send them to email@example.com.