Genius Games is Hiring - Operations Manager
Genius Games is looking for an Operations Manager. We want someone who wants to work in a tight-knit group, someone who enjoys working in high energy environments, wants their work to truly matter, wants to have fun along the way and has a sense of humor. This position is suited for someone who loves solving challenging puzzles, is highly self-directed, highly organized, has a very high standard for her/himself but is also not afraid to make mistakes along the way, and thrives when giving and receiving feedback about how they and the company can continually improve. This person is not averse to risk, and most importantly wants to use their skills to personally and directly help drive the growth of a small company.
The Operations Manager role is critical for Genius Games, and the input, contributions and decisions made by this person will be extremely important to the success of our company. If you’re just looking for another job, this position isn’t for you. If you don’t really want to be a critical part of a team and a company, and if you don’t love working your rear off, with those people, to make those people in that team better, and to make the company as a whole better, then this isn’t the position for you.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
During your time at Genius Games, you will be responsible for:
- Setting and tracking production timelines and helping the team stay on schedule
- Communication Lead between manufacturers (RFQ’s, manufacturing specs, quotes, etc.) our artists and graphic designers (for file creation and prep for manufacturing), project managers, etc
- Reviewing product files, samples, Pre-Production Copies, and Mass Production Copies to check for errors
- Keeping the team informed on the progress of the production pipeline
- Being the communication lead between Genius Games and our customers and Kickstarter backers (answering game rule related questions, writing backer updates, answering Kickstarter messages and comments, etc)
- Being the management and communication lead for our community Science Review and Science Writing Teams
- Managing and leading communication between the design team and playtesters for internal and external playtesting
- Writing/compiling any necessary process documents for playtesting (Playtester feedback forms, How to Assemble Your Prototype documents, etc),
- Convention support (packing company booth supplies, setting up the Genius Games booth, demoing games, traveling to conventions around the US and well as a few internationally).
- Writing the Genius Games monthly newsletter
- Keeping the office stocked with the necessary printer, prototype, and office supplies
- Writing and/or Reviewing Game Rulebooks
- LOTS of playtesting Genius Games prototypes
* This position will require the individual to work out of our office in St. Louis, MO.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Excellent written communication skills - mandatory
- Proficient in spreadsheets (Excel and Google Sheets)
- Proficient in project management and timelines
- Proficient in Google Drive for file management and organization
- Proficient in Slack for team communication
- Great with numbers, analytic problem solving, and the math behind optimization
- Familiarity with the production side of the board game industry
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Preferably a Bachelor's Degree in field related to this role
- Any experience in product design or manufacturing is a plus
- Any experience in game production is a plus
- Any experience in the Hobby Board Game Industry is a plus
- Any experience with Kickstarter is a plus
- Any proficiency with Adobe products or graphic design is a plus
- A background in science is a plus
- Self directed and high achieving
- Candid and honest
- Highly organized
- Highly trustworthy and transparent
- Energized by solving challenge puzzles
- Able to learn quickly on the job
- Has an entrepreneurial spirit
- Has a high level of attention to detail
- Sets timelines and maintains them
- Will tell you when they think you’re wrong
- Always striving to improve
- Has a positive “can do” attitude
- Not afraid to make mistakes
- Is an effective interpersonal communicator
- Is excited by science and the natural world
- Enjoys board games and is interested in learning more about the tabletop industry
- Goes out of their way to get feedback from others, because they love making amazing things more than their own ego.
This is a full time position located in St. Louis, Missouri. Compensation this position will start at $12 to $18 per hour commensurate on education and experience and preferably move up quickly as you grow with the company and move into a full-time strategic leadership role.
After one year of employment this position will be additionally compensated with quarterly discretionary bonuses based upon performance and company profits. This position currently offers no healthcare or 401K benefits, but as the company grows, benefits are part of our plan moving forward for employees.
ABOUT GENIUS GAMES
We believe science is fascinating and should be a joy to learn. We believe that hobby games are not just fun, but a healthy activity to promote social skills and learn about the world we live in.
With that in mind our focus is on:
Accurate science products that engage, educate and inspire.
We specialize in publishing board games, card games, children’s books and many other types of interactive games and activities, but with a twist - everything published by Genius Games is accurately themed around science! The company has been featured in a number of major media outlets such as Popular Science Magazine, Scientific American, Gizmodo and many more. We’ve been growing at a tremendous rate every year since we’ve been in business, and the hobby board game industry as a whole is booming.
GENIUS GAMES - CORE VALUES
As a member of the Genius Games team, you are expected to embody the core values of the company. These core value are what we as a team hire and fire by:
Always improving: Seeking to become a more knowledgeable, skillful, insightful and healthy individual, both on and off the job.
Self-directed high achievement: Taking responsibility for yourself and taking the initiative to do what needs to be done without having to be instructed step-by-step.
Feedback driven: Seeking and listening to constructive criticism and multiple perspectives.
Candid and compassionate: Always being forthright, empathetic, and sincere because people are the most important resource we have.
To apply please email email@example.com, with subject line “Operations Manager Position - [your name] and the following:
Description of your proficiency in the Qualifications and Skills section as well as the Education and Experience section.
Your top 5 favorite board games and a quick explanation of why they are your favorite as well as your board gaming experience.
Describe a project you have worked on in the past that 1) you really enjoyed and 2) you think went excellently and how you contributed to it's excellence.